The Road Less Travelled... To Work

I returned to bike commuting this week and realized how much I missed it (the bike) and how much I missed while driving.  Anyone who drives the Capital Beltway knows you can't possibly take in anything while contending with groggy commuters, gridlock, cellphone and a macdonalds-hot starbucks between your knees.

The point of the post is seeing.  I'm not talking about becoming a zen master buddhist.  Though I didn't have my camera with me and would have certainly been late to the office if I did, I noticed much more.  The sun rose over the Potomac in a curry red and I began to plot my next shot with a long lens - cyclist or runners in the fore, huge sun in the back and the Lincoln Monument somewhere in there.  Looking over my left shoulder to the West, there were a couple of vantage points that would give me what I was looking for along the Memorial Bridge.  This weekend looks like rain, but who knows, there might be a shot worth scouting out regardless.

The next time you're out, sans camera, look and plan.  You will learn to see without the chaff of camera and controls that can sometimes interfere with image composition.  If in an unfamiliar area, bring a GPS along and mark the spot.  Think about returning at different times of day or weather.  Come back to it later... on a bike.

1 comment:

  1. John,

    Great post. I do something similar…visualizing shots when you have a little spare mental bandwidth resulting from the dreaded meeting from hell can help maintain your sanity.

    I would also recommend a piece of gear for that bike ride – one that you recommended to me – the Lowepro slingshot. For the benefit of those who are not familiar with this bag, indulge me a moment. This bag has several features that make it great for cycling;

    a) It has a single shoulder strap that allows the bag to swing from your back to front and end up in a position that makes everything in the bag easily accessible.
    b) It has a waste strap that can be used to secure the bag – perfect for cycling.
    c) It has a built in rain cover. If you get caught out in the rain, just flip up the rain cover, and your gear is protected.

    Thanks for the great post John.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete