Ditch The Telephoto and Get Closer




Antigua, 2007

I like to use a 50mm lens for several reasons. It's light and compact. My particular 50mm has good contrast, has good bokeh, is fast enough for my uses and is relatively inexpensive. The issue here is getting close, related to my post on building rapport with the person being photographed. After warming up in an area and wandering around a bit, people acclimate to you. However, sticking a 100mm (or longer!) lens in someone's face can intimidate and turn people off. What is more, a telephoto doesn't let you get intimate and make good eye contact.

Separately, but pertaining to the two images is varying the frame from landscape to portrait and getting close. While I really enjoy taking environmental portraits that illustrate a person or animal in their environments, straight-up, close shots of someone with a distinct face really grabs the viewer. Granted, the guy in this picture was probably pre-relaxing prior to the steel drum ensemble and for sure assisted me in getting in close. But it worked nonetheless!

1 comment:

  1. John,

    This is great advice. And something for which I have not yet gained sufficient comfort. I admit to being the 70-200 guy...from across the room. An argument for the long lens, particularly wide open, is the great background blur.

    Still, your advice is well taken.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete