Morro de São Paulo 2008

A quick post and short point - when I shot a series of images of these kids leaping off a dock in Morro de Sao Paulo, Brazil, I was equipped only with a 50mm prime lens, a favorite.  In order to get the narrow field of view I wanted, I waded up to my neck and contend with an occasional wave and splashing.  Those issues limited how close I could get to the action.  While several shots resulted in great images, I revisited these and found this scene worthy of a tighter crop to emphasize the action and simplify the main elements.  The cropped image has a stronger graphical quality than the original which shows the entire dock and several other individuals that distract from the two boys here.  So the point is this - cropping is not necessarily bad when limited by the distance to the subject or the focal length of the lens.  Furthermore, revisiting older photos and studying various crops can strengthen a sense of space and composition for future shots… and remind one to bring other lenses!

Canon 20D, ISO 400, 1/250@F16; cropped approximately 60% of original

1 comment:

  1. Really a great place for taking fotos! Liked very much the one of the kid jumping from Morro de São Paulo's harbour.

    ReplyDelete